Moving dnssd to kdelibs

Jakub Stachowski stachowski at hypair.net
Wed Dec 1 21:18:12 GMT 2004

Dnia środa, 1 grudnia 2004 21:49, Aaron Seigo napisał:
> On December 1, 2004 13:08, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > As FreeNX is not spreaded everywhere today
>
> well, this is how one gets something spread everywhere: offering unique
> features you can't get elsewhere ;-)

Exactly. Making good use of it is best way of spreading.

> > and does not support single
> > applications (or is this in the stable release meanwhile?)
>
> oh, it supports single apps (rootless mode). it just isn't quite as fast as
> full desktop mode right now due to not being able to take advantage of all
> the compression tricks available in NX. this is slated to be fixed
> eventually, thought.
>
> > such a simple
> > support for launching single remote application via traditionell X might
> > be very welcome by some.
>
> sure, launching isn't really the problem (assuming the bandwidth is there).
> it's going to be the listing of applications that will be slow. one would
> want the equivalent of a ksycoca running on the remote machine, really,
> otherwise you'll be pulling a LOT of files and doing a LOT of parsing
> (probably repeatedly =/). i'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that
> this will be painfully slow when used to populate a menu.

Yes, pulling hundreds of small files may be not so great idea.

> it would be better, IMHO, to be able to advertise which apps can be
> launched (as opposed to say "anything in the local kmenu") regardless of
> whether NX is used to plain ol' ssh-tunnelled-X. which means having
> something on the server side.

Only matter of one more attribute like connection=NX or SSH

> perhaps what could be advertised instead of a path + ssh port is an ssh
> port that one can connect to to get a list of apps available. would have to
> work i18n in there somehow....

Or some kind of small sycoca file containing only apps meant to be shared in
one file. It would be simpler that some new service on separate port doing
transfer.

> speaking of which, is there any support for i18n in the mDNS, or is that
> all left up to the client side of the query? (pardon my ignorance =)

Completely left to the client.