Moving dnssd to kdelibs

Aaron Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Dec 1 20:49:10 GMT 2004

On December 1, 2004 13:08, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> As FreeNX is not spreaded everywhere today

well, this is how one gets something spread everywhere: offering unique
features you can't get elsewhere ;-)

> and does not support single
> applications (or is this in the stable release meanwhile?)

oh, it supports single apps (rootless mode). it just isn't quite as fast as
full desktop mode right now due to not being able to take advantage of all
the compression tricks available in NX. this is slated to be fixed
eventually, thought.

> such a simple
> support for launching single remote application via traditionell X might be
> very welcome by some.

sure, launching isn't really the problem (assuming the bandwidth is there).
it's going to be the listing of applications that will be slow. one would
want the equivalent of a ksycoca running on the remote machine, really,
otherwise you'll be pulling a LOT of files and doing a LOT of parsing
(probably repeatedly =/). i'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that
this will be painfully slow when used to populate a menu.

it would be better, IMHO, to be able to advertise which apps can be launched
(as opposed to say "anything in the local kmenu") regardless of whether NX is
used to plain ol' ssh-tunnelled-X. which means having something on the server
side.

perhaps what could be advertised instead of a path + ssh port is an ssh port
that one can connect to to get a list of apps available. would have to work
i18n in there somehow....

speaking of which, is there any support for i18n in the mDNS, or is that all
left up to the client side of the query? (pardon my ignorance =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric