RFC: Managing remote folders, KNetAttach sequel

Kévin Ottens ervin at ipsquad.net
Wed Dec 1 09:56:33 GMT 2004

Le Mercredi 1 Décembre 2004 08:03, Aaron Seigo a écrit :
> i'm certainly not the former and questionable for the latter, but:
>
>  http://aseigo.bddf.ca/?pID=1048

It's interesting two steps is a good idea imho. The only problem I see is that
you have more fields on the second page.

Hmmm... maybe it would be nice to modify the layout so that the name field is
separated from the others?
And I'm wondering if and "advanced settings" button could be useful to reduce
the number of fields in most case.

I'm really not a usability guru, I just throw my ideas... :-)

As a start, maybe it could be commited, Georges what's your opinion since you
have the last word on knetattach?

> it would also be nice if it used KWizard to get icons on the buttons, etc.

Right!

> once this is settled in, perhaps krdc's interface should be changed to
> reflect knetattach to provide a unified look 'n feel among our network
> connection tools.

Indeed. And I'm even wondering if krdc is so foreign that it couldn't be
supported in knetattach directly...

> on the desktop, for one.

Should we keep it in system:/ too (by default), since system:/ is on the
desktop too.

Btw, which icon should we use for system:/ ? The current link use the "kfm"
icon but it's not that nice imho. I noticed a "my_computer" icon in the
crystalsvg theme, but it's not generated as a png. Just wondering what we
should do about this... I'm not sure "my_computer" type icon is the best icon
to choose, but it'll surely remind somethings to other DE users.

> and once the kio_system speeds up (it takes ~6-7
> seconds to show the main listing of 5 icons on my AMD64 3500!)

Lucky you! I'm dreaming of an AMD64 3500 every night! Instead I'm waiting
hours on my box until kde fully compile... and it's a pain to do something
else at the same time. :-/

Ok, I stop complaining. ;-)

It's really weird that it takes so much time on your box... It's immediate on
mine which is really less powerful.
Someone else with the same issue than Aaron?

> perhaps make
> that the default $HOME for a konqi profile?

For the filemanagement profile maybe.

> a kicker menuext may also be in
> order.

/me hides... ;-)