KDElibs/win32 merge: How to resolve followin issue..

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Sat Aug 28 15:37:40 BST 2004

KDE hackers,
I am still updating my native KDElibs/win32 to HEAD, file by file.
In kdecore, we have:

   virtual KSycocaEntry *KSycocaFactory::createEntry(int offset)=0;

Changing return type for subclasses, e.g. in kio/kio
(KServiceFactory : public KServiceFactory):

   virtual KService * KServiceFactory::createEntry(int offset);

...is not portable outside gcc world. There are more places like this.
Originally I have just changed  KService* return type back to KSycocaEntry*
and added static_cast<KService*> when needed (not really often). This is
_portable_ and relatively clean (because it's a protected method, so no public
API is affected), and binary compatible. Not ifdefs, and doxygen docs will
remain clean.

We can _optionally_ add convenience methods, eg.
   inline KService * KServiceFactory::createServiceEntry(int offset)
   { return static_cast<KService*>(createEntry(offset)); }

Is all of this reasonable for you?

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
   Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska