KDE Doc: We need meta-HIG

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Aug 26 05:09:29 BST 2004

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 13:20, Aaron Seigo wrote:

(Big pardons for this flood of lengthy mails, but I try to get my sketchy
ideas out to avoid race conditions/conflicts later on. The maintainers have
probably already thought about what I mention; all I know is the aKademy
people/non-KDE lists folks have done is the top mail and planetkde.org, no
vids yet and incomplete listening of audio -- but I have a hard time
appreciating something else more)

As we know, what the HIG is and what it's not, what goes in and what goes out,
must be well defined. We also need to document this in order to sustain
consistency over time, and distribute maintainer burden. I'm not talking
about a Docbook :), but a simple HTML document. I started on a plain text
file when I fixed the current HIG; I think it's a starting point:
www/areas/usability/hig/src/GUIDELINES
(some of it conflicts with the top mail)

We also need to make it clear that:

* The HIG will be used for in-house development, but should be applicable for
3rd parties. In other words, it should be genericly written, and dictate the
"KDE style", while things specific to the KDE project should be elsewhere(KDE
Policies, KUA). I can't remember what, but I've found issues which would make
such a paragraph relevant (assuming that is our intentsions with the HIG)

* (closely related to above) Torsten quotes future guidelines:
"Icon design both affects and is influenced by technology as well as
usability, beauty, fashion and marketing. This aspect is important for the
choice of a default icon style and it needs to be carefully evaluated during
the design process of each particular icon."
We need to have a clear view of whom our readers are. Who and why will read
the guidelines? Is the selection of icon theme for KDE relevant for the
readers, or KDE maintainers? Is it of interest?

* What we emphasize and encourage is what people do. Above Torsten emphasizes
it needs to look fancy; do we need more bells and whistles in KDE? Wouldn't
it be better if did a small lie and said "only focus on usability"(we tend to
get the bells and whistles in either case, here in KDE)

* Before someone throws this lovely subject for open debate(tabs vs spaces
with little sleep and too much booze, eh?): If we decide to have a coding
style(XML indenting) for these projects, I suggest it is 4 spaces. Why 4?
Only silly reasons: 1) I said it first, and that's an easy way to solve the
conflict; 2) It's the middle between zero spaces and a tab; 3) The current
HIG and KUA uses it. (anyone who have read my code knows I prefer tabs). Of
course, good luck reaching a consensus in open discussion. We could insert
editor tags at the end of files.

* A lot of more things, but my memory currently fails me.

Technical issues:

* We in the KDE project do a lot of Docbook circus; I think we would make use
of W3C XML XSD instead SGML DTD, especially in the long run. I think we will
switch to XSD sooner or later(because it's simply being XML and that SGML is
dying, and XSD is better)[1], and we should pick a time when that switch is
most strategic. We will have a handful of projects popping up now, and now is
suitable to add a parallel XSD system, for usage by these projects and the
writing of new app documentation. Existing documents can then be gradually
converted or everything "overhauled"(easily scripted), whatever we feel for.
We should also remember that KDE 4.0 is suitable for large moves.
xmllint(used by meinproc/checkXML) support it and Docbook schemas are
available. I don't think it's a question of if, but rather when, and now is a
good time to make sure it not become a limitation later on, but that KDE has
extra power and flexibility right now. Lauri, I bet you have something to say
on this.

* We should use XInclude instead of system entities(and preferrably add a
namespace tag to kdex.dtd if we don't use XSD)

			Frans

1.
XSD vs DTD: Quick googling returned(haven't read it):
http://www.sitepoint.com/print/xml-dtds-xml-schema
http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/xml/schema_vs_dtd.html
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:ciPq4ywI7_4J:www.idealliance.org/papers/xml02/slides/kennedy/kennedy2.ppt+dtd+vs+xsd&hl=en&ie=UTF-8