KDE HIG, CIG and AG

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Wed Aug 25 15:59:46 BST 2004

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 14:18, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 25. August 2004 15:20 schrieb Aaron Seigo:
> > only the maintainers (more on them in a bit) will have commit rights and
> > final paches to the guidliens will appear on a kde-guidelines list. this
> > will allow domain-specific discussion to occur where appropriate with
> > items considered ready by the respective teams to be reviewed for
> > correctness. this is important as proposed usability guidelines may have
> > accessibility impacts, for instance.
>
> Is access control really needed? Where is the trust among the KDE
> community? Doesn't it work in all other cvs modules (except www, for
> whatever reason) that there is a rule maintainer-reviews-before-commit? Do
> we really need to enforce this here? Gives a really bad feeling. Are
> guideline writers more special than code writers?
> What about missspelled words or syntax errors? Should we really wait until
> the maintainer had the time to review the little fix? And stay with a
> broken docbook until?

The Guidelines have similar (important) status to central code in kdelibs --
and the maintainer/kde-core-devel review system works well for that, AFAICT.
I think too access control would be excessive, especially for the maintainers
who'll need to bring out `patch` often. Afterall, if people doesn't follow
the rules of mailinglist review and explicit maintainer approval, it's not
more than the usual hitting with a stick and go reverting. Anyway, it's not a
big deal. Besides, in the case people start crawling on each others for
fixing Guidelines(which is a little bit hard to find up till now) the
maintainers will probably lift the barriers for their own sake.

I'll return (later today) with some more comments to the interesting top post.

			Frans