Proposal for KDE 4.0

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Aug 18 06:34:23 BST 2004

On Tuesday 17 August 2004 09:18 pm, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 20:54, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > I'd prefer nowhere. Imagine the command-lines with
> > -I$KDEDIR/include/core/4.0/ -I$KDEDIR/include/kio/4.0/
> > -I$KDEDIR/include/ui/4.0/ .....
>
> This is what pkg-config provides, of course.

Except that it doesn't necessarily do away with the very awkward command
line. Granted, the user isn't likely to be typing this in by hand, but
it still makes an examination of a build log that much more painful on
the eyes.

While the orginal proposal mentioned versioning in the filesystem
namespace, it seems to me that the core problem it was addressing was
related to module names rather than versions.

Since KDE releases are much more "synchronous" and unified than the
GNOME style, the need for this kind of namespace versioning is much
less. I don't imagine many users will want to mix and match KDE
components across major versions. If they really want to, or in the
case of a migration, installing under different hierarchies should be
sufficient.

--
David Johnson