Proposal for KDE 4.0

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Wed Aug 18 05:18:01 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 20:54, Thiago Macieira wrote:

> I'd prefer nowhere. Imagine the command-lines with
> -I$KDEDIR/include/core/4.0/ -I$KDEDIR/include/kio/4.0/
> -I$KDEDIR/include/ui/4.0/ .....

This is what pkg-config provides, of course.

> Unless, of course, you'd want to do something like
> #include <core/4.0/kapplication.h>
>
> which I would rather not, either.

In one common scheme it would be
/usr/include/kdecore-4/core/kapplication.h
and #include <core/kapplication.h>, or if you consider the "k"
sufficient namespace, drop the "core" out of there entirely.

Note the version is "4" not "4.0" as it should change on back compat
breakage, not on each release. GTK screwed this up so GTK 2.4 still
installs /usr/include/gtk-2.0

http://ometer.com/parallel.html explains how a lot of libraries work
(basically "libraries that use pkgconfig" which includes GNOME but
various other stuff too)

Havoc