Adding Docbook 4.3 and DocBook XSL 1.65.1 to kdelibs

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Aug 16 03:22:59 BST 2004

Hello all,

I'm working on two documentation projects on usability.kde.org, KDE Usability
Articles, and a face lift of the Human Interface Guidelines. Both use
docbook, and the docbook DTDs as well as XSLs must be available in order for
people to work with those two projects.

Specifically, the two need:

* Docbook XML 4.3
* Docbook XSL 1.65.1: Formatting Objects and XHTML output

Docbook XML 4.3 is on <500kb, so I guess it's ok if I add it to kdelibs.

DocBook XSL have grewn significantly in size however, even if it's stripped
similarly to the kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/xsl, the size is 7.9mb,
compared to the current on 2.9mb.

The above functionality is widely used, and should be available centrally in
KDE. The size is daunting but it have to be consumed somewhere, the question
is where.

If it should be placed in kdelibs(if not, it will probably lead to duplicates
in the long run), should it replace kdelibs/kdoctools/customization/xsl or be
another version, similar to the DTDs? I don't have insight in the KDE doc
system to spot regressions etc.

Comments?

Cheers,

			Frans