ANNOUNCE: HEAD is open for development again

Charles Samuels charles at kde.org
Sat Aug 14 19:49:10 BST 2004

On Saturday 14 August 2004 11:40 am, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> Just my 0.02, for what they are worth:
>
> I don't believe that, realistically speaking, any of the commercial
> UN*X vendors (Sun, IBM, HP, to name the ones with the largest market
> share) will ever agree to redesign their kernels. I believe that
> relying on a kernel dependent implementation will essentially shut
> KDE out of any kernel, but those which support such facilities. This
> would probably mean Linux exclusively.
>
> Would this type of requirement be beneficial to KDE in the long run ?
> IMHO, it wouldn't.

I said the following:

"Ideally 90% of our users (Linux) would get their audio mixed by the kernel
(so  they'd get the lower cpu usage, less latency, and compatibility with
other apps).  The other 10% would get some stupid soundserver to do the
mixing."

What would be beneficial to (90% of) our users is finally not needing a mixer
to make their user experience much *much* worse.

-Charles

--
Charles Samuels <charles at kde.org>
 Don't change horsemen in the middle of an apocalypse!