ANNOUNCE: HEAD is open for development again

Michael Nottebrock michaelnottebrock at gmx.net
Sat Aug 14 01:02:04 BST 2004

On Saturday 14 August 2004 01:35, Charles Samuels wrote:

> Sorry Michael, if the kernel doesn't do the mixing, it's going to suck for
> 100% of our users.

Nonsense.

> This has been proven time and time again by all the
> mixers that have been attempted.

Nonsense.

> I want something that works well for
> almost everyone,

Nonsense.

> and if the other 10% want their system work as well as it
> does on Linux, then they can fix their kernels to support mixing.

Nonsense.

> I'm not saying it should depend on alsa's broken API, I'm saying /dev/dsp
> (or whatever that is provided) should provide mixing, by default, in the
> kernel. It should *just work*.

It's so nice that you seem to think you can dictate the ToDo's of kernel
developers everywhere.

> > Why is low latency important for mixing two system notifications sounds
> > together anyway? Last time I looked even Windows did not use ASIO to play
> > "ding.wav".
>
> A program (particularly a game) that needs low latency shouldn't interfere
> with system notification sounds.

Particularly games could and should use what fits their needs best - and
there's no reason for KDE to provide it (last time I looked it was not
DirectX, not even close).

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi at freebsd.org