KSpell 2

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Fri Apr 30 05:52:10 BST 2004

Ave,

I'm done with KSpell 2 as far as its initial version goes. It's the
fastest checker out there, period. But besides the tech wizzy thingies
what everyone will see right away is :
1) virtually no cpu usage for spell checking,
2) "Suggest" button in the dialog which does what it's supposed to! (
http://www.automatix.de/~zack/kspell2_1.png )
3) changing languages on the fly (no restarting dialog or anything like
that, in fact you can switch the dict, click suggest to have a list of
suggestion in some other language, switch back to the previous language
and continue checking with it)
4) support for going back in the buffer. I wasn't sure where to put the
"go back" (maybe "previous word" would be better) button in the dialog
so here's something for the usability team.
5) global ignore list and a new configuration dialog
 ( http://www.automatix.de/~zack/kspell2_2.png ). i'm considering just
removing the "skip run-together words" option and having it on by
default.
6) links and email addys are skipped automatically.

There's a quite a few tests in kdenonbeta/kspell but if you want to
check it in action then compile test_configdialog, test_highlighter and
test_dialog.

Right now I think I'll do it this way:
- kdeui gets -> kspell_configdialog.*  kspell_configui.ui
kspell_dialog.* kspell_highlighter.*  kspellui.ui
- new directory kdelibs/kspell2, compiled after kdecore with the core of
kspell2 plus ispell and aspell plugins. I'd like to add myspell as
well, but I don't think it needs to be in kdelibs at all. Also what I
would like to finish is the grammar checking framework, but I'd like to
have kspell2 accommodated well before that happens.

Technically we could put the gui files in the kspell2 directory but that
would mean apps have to link to it explicitly which I'm not too keen
on.

Zack

--
"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." - Britney
Spears