i18n bug regarding Arabic-Indic numbers needinfo.

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Sat Apr 24 23:26:27 BST 2004

Diego Iastrubni wrote:
>בשבת, 24 באפריל 2004, 20:07, נכתב על ידי Thiago Macieira:
>> Of course, this will only work if you're converting digits (like a
>> phone number) to and from base 10. If you stumble over a digit whose
>> value is 11, you'll end up with '0' + 11 = ';'.
>
>humans have generally 10 fingers, that is why they use generally the
> 10 base. also the phone companies.

However, we have 10 fingers and 10 toes, meaning that some people
invented base-20 counting systems. Normands, for instance.

Other people have base 60 counting.

>> As for numbers, not just a sequence of digits, you may want to be
>> aware that some scripts may decide to put the least significant
>> digit first,
>
>trust me no :)
>numbers are ALWAYS ltr. If I am wrong, please prove me wrong.

I'm not saying there is a script in Unicode doing rtl numbering, but I'm
saying it's not impossible. I know at least one in the proposed section
for Unicode.

I'm not trying to tell you not to use the code. But I am telling you
that it may prove insufficient if one of those more exotic scripts is
added to Unicode.

If/when that day comes, I'll let you worry then.

(Note, the script I'm talking about is base 12 and is written
least-significant-first)
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info