Qt-Addon classes merge

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at kdemail.net
Sun Apr 18 21:40:35 BST 2004

Hello everyone,

[if you don't know what Qt-Addon is about, please take a look at the end
of the e-mail]

Recently, TrollTech decided that they don't have the resources to
integrate my code into Qt4, nor really the need. The current bugs and
shortcomings in Qt3 will be resolved by enhancing the current classes
and replacing the few where this can't be done -- with code far simpler
than mine.

Therefore, we are left with libqt-addon and must decide what to do with
it. Three possibilities come to mind:

1) keep it as is: a separate Qt-only library.
- Advantages: makes it possible for non-KDE (non-libkdecore) programs to
benefit from the enhancements (DCOP comes to mind). It also makes it
possible for TT to reconsider.
- Disadvantages: separate library which may cause overhead during load.
It also makes my life slightly difficult in integrating with KSocks --
which is a requirement for KDE 3.3.

2) rename all classes and files and merge with libkdecore
- Advantages: code will benefit from KDE features, like KDebug,
KLibLoader, etc. KSocks integration will be much easier.
- Disadvantages: some work required in the moving, renaming and porting
the classes. Qt-only programs won't be able to benefit from the
enhancements. (read: we won't be able to make DCOP use this)

3) drop it.
- Advantages: no work for anyone
- Disadvantages: we'll have to live with the current bugs until
Qt4/KDE4.

Frankly, I don't really see option #3 as a real option. If only because
I've been more than once asked to provide a proxying API.

Personally, I lean towards option #2, but I'd like to hear some input
from other people, notably the potential users of this code.

===
What was Qt-Addon supposed to be?

When last year I decided to work on the replacement for my own
KExtendedSocket class and fix the dependency on QDns, I included in my
proposition the idea that TrollTech could use the code for Qt itself.

Then I really did get in touch with TT and we started working more or
less together in defining the roadmap and API. At that time, the
classes (that still were KDE classes) were renamed to Q-something and
placed in a separate library: libqt-addon.

The library exists now and is being used by KDE HEAD. It implements
truly asynchronous name-lookup -- not restricting to DNS alone -- and
the socket classes are really flexible. I've even implemented the
long-needed support for HTTP proxying.
--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiago (AT) macieira (DOT) info