KStandardDirs and Autopackage

Arend van Beelen jr. arend at auton.nl
Wed Apr 14 14:58:16 BST 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 12:38, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Tue April 13 2004 23:31, Arend van Beelen jr. wrote:
> > Of course, the best
> > solution would be to include the small library used (BinReloc) with
> > KStandardDirs, so that application developers will automatically and
> > transparently use this library. It won't require any changes to the API
> > of KStandardDirs, it will just add a default location to search
> > (including the logic that determines what that default is).
> >
> > Now, do you think it would be a good idea to add this to KStandardDirs or
> > would you prefer a different solution?
>
> Do you have a patch that I can look at?
As Leo suggested, I will create a first patch so you can better see how it is
supposed to work.

http://autopackage.org/docs/binreloc/

> How do you make sure that the KDE runtime environment knows about this
> applications, its icons, its mimetypes, etc.. ?
It doesn't. The most important point is that the application can run on its
own no matter where it's installed. Of course, the installation script should
then make sure the .desktop files and icons are registered with KDE, probably
by making symlinks.

Bye,

Arend jr.

--
Arend van Beelen jr.
http://www.liacs.nl/~dvbeelen

No one survived from the Royal Fusiliers Company C - they were all left
behind, most of them dead, the rest of them dying.
-- When the Tigers broke free, Pink Floyd