Math expression applet

Jarosław Staniek js at iidea.pl
Mon Apr 12 21:56:11 BST 2004

Andrew Coles wrote:

> I noticed the proposed Math expression applet on the KDE 3.3 release plan
> and thought it was a good idea so I wrote one.  I've posted about it on
> kde-devel and was told to ask on kde-core-devel if and where I should
> commit it into the CVS (I have a CVS account from my i18n/proof-reading
> work, but thought it would be a little impolite to just insert something
> into KDE without checking first :-)
>
> I've tried contacting Ismael Orenstein, whose name was listed next to it
> in the todo list, to see if any work had already been done on it; however,
> the email bounced, and an email to another address from google bearing his
> name
> also bounced:  so, it brings me to ask - should I commit it and, if so,
> where?

I've not yet looked at it, but I guess it may be considered as a component for
Kexi, and for many more apps? ...we've adding/reusing such a component in our
FAR TODO list...
One thing that's coming to my mind is we'd like to have easily "pluggable"
functions taken from several API's / worlds, categorized/splitted up. See

http://www.iidea.pl/~js/kexi/shots/expression_builder.png

for 1st impression what I am talking about. You'll see there are also function
signatures, what can ease the usage a bit, etc, etc.

That's a lot more functionality than just a Kicker Applet, of course, but I am
curious if you and Ismael are interested in extending your work?

Or there is already separate project for expression building (no I am not
asking about regexp builder)?

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska