Session mismanagement

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Sep 30 13:43:35 BST 2003

On Tuesday 30 of September 2003 14:25, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:

> On Tuesday 30 September 2003 04:40 am, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Tuesday 30 of September 2003 08:14, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > 	Me and my 798 session files would like to know whats going on here...
> > > This came to head when I was trying to figure out why randomly gimp
> > > would start a few instances every time i logged in.  Well I decided I
> > > would remove it from my session directory, since it usually gets filled
> > > up over a few weeks.... Well in the last 3 weeks I have generated 798
> > > files in there. A few KSirc, a whole mess of konsoles (none actually
> > > appear at login), 648 konqis, and about 3 kwalletmanagers.
> > >
> > > 	Now is this normal?
> >
> >  Not really, but it's not surprising either. It usually happens when you
> > don't exit KDE cleanly. Does it happen for you also when cleanly exiting
> > KDE? That'd be a bug somewhere in ksmserver then. But I just logged in
> > and out a few times, and the only files in the directory are from the
> > last session.
>
> Well most of the time I have to log out maby 4 or 5 times before it goes.

 That's a bug then. Unless you're just a bit impatient. Especially with broken
apps ksmserver needs to time out waiting for them to save.

> If you have an app wishing to save something, or kate thinking a file is
> modified, the  logout process "forgets" that it was logging out.

 No, it does not. The logout process normally continues after you save or
discard the file. It only aborts if you select 'Cancel'. But I see that
aborted logout can cause such files.

>  Also if
> applicaitons like ksirc, and kweather when its loaded as an appletproxy can
> cause the session to "forget" it was really logging out.

 Speaking of bugs ...

[snip]
> > > Should we maby provide a way to clean things up?
> > >
> > > Any ideas would be nice.
> >
> >  I think ksmserver should know about all session files that are still
> > important, as it's ksmserver who removes the no longer used files. If you
> > file a report at b.k.o, I might have a look somewhen, but I don't
> > consider this that important.
>
> Like i said this has been arround for ever, its just been more extreme.
> One thing i think agrivates it is the "oh you changed the font/style/color,
> i am going to crash a random konqi, or two" bug, and if you have open
> documents via kio, that take a while to upload.  KSirc has agrivated this

 There's a difference between session files (in $KDEHOME/share/config/session)
and temporary KIO files. Are you sure you're not confusing them here?

> in the past, as well as noatun and non-KDE applications being open that do
> socket activity such as PSI.  Also a client of mines application Icepak if
> running when kde exits, will almost always restart two instances when
> restarted.
>
> (ill copy this part in the kde bug, since this has been my notes on why and
> how this happens)
>
> If its not important I can file a bug and ignore it for a while,

 I've always used session saving on logout, and this has never really bothered
me.

> its just
> "session managemnt" is one of those things that seems to be a nice thing if
> it worked.

 Well... there must be some secret competition going on about who breaks SM
the most.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer