Fw: firewall (iptables) interfere with sycoca/kio-file

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.info
Thu Sep 25 02:35:20 BST 2003

Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
>After doing may things (installing a fresh linux with new kernel) I finally
>found the problem. Apparently the firewall rules of iptables that I used
>were too strict, and it slowed (but no stopped) KDE's function. Problem was
>solved by letting all lo-device traffic go freely. So check your firewall
>rules if you KDE does not work well...

General system slowness is most generally caused by DNS timeouts. There are
many, many tasks in KDE that perform DNS lookups, either on your own
hostname, or on 'localhost' or on some other domain.

Now, depending on your configuration, your lookups go to a daemon on your own
system: either named or nscd. That means localhost-traffic.

Another hint: don't block traffic on interface lo. There are also many other
tasks that exchange information via Internet node-local sockets.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom at mail.com
    ICQ UIN: 1967141   PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358