kdelibs/kdecore

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Tue Sep 23 16:50:02 BST 2003

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 05:19, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> Indeed, thanks for the detailed report. It should be fixed now.
>
> When debugging I discovered that KMail uses two KConfig objects that
> both operate on kmailrc. It would be more efficient if you could
> manage to share a single configuration object. I assume that Kmail
> uses two because one is used for the part and one is used for the
> shell?

If it has two then that's a bug. The only KConfig object that should
operate on kmailrc is KMKernel::config() and that's the one it should
always be used.
The problem that has been bothering me though is that one of the most
irritating things about kpartifying and app is that all the
KGlobal::config() constructs become invalid because part uses a
different config name then the app (which is also the reason
KMKernel::config() was added - to make sure the same config is used all
over the place).

> Maybe KConfig should provide a factory for refcounted config
> objects for such cases?

Yeah, that's a good idea. In KMail the problem must be somewhere else,
but that would help nontheless.

Zack

--
PCMCIA - People Can't Memorise Computer Industry Acronyms