Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications

Roberto Alsina ralsina at kde.org
Sun Sep 21 23:41:16 BST 2003

> On Sunday 21 September 2003 23:39, Roberto Alsina wrote:
>>
>> Now, your position is that there is no such app to be written. I gave a
>> few examples, Andras mentioned one. Those apps do exist.
>
> My position is that DBs are, more frequently than not, used as the wrong
> solution to a problem, and are inherently much more complex and less
> reliable
> than simpler solutions. I don't disagree that apps needing a DB can be
> written, I do disagree that they are as common as you seem to think.

Ok.

>> Costs almost nothing. It's tiny. It's written. It's 1200 lines. How
>> buggy
>> can it be? ;-)
>
> You tell me :-). How well tested is it ?

Fairly well. The DB itself (sqlite) is very stable. The Qt driver was
buggy (very) at first, but it was mostly because it was zero-tested.

As soon as someone started using it, it got pretty good. What problems
could be left should clear up easily. I insist, it's a very small  and
simple piece of code.

>> Benefits: you say none. I say some.
>
> No, I agree there are benefits. What I'm worried about are the downsides,
> even
> more so since you seem to be overly confident on the issue, and advocated
> the
> use of DBs in applications where they really didn't belong. Two sure signs
> of
> the "I've got a new toy I absolutely must play with"-syndrome. No offense
> meant, but you do trigger a few alarm bells here.

No offense taken. I don't intend to write any apps for KDE in the
near future, so the risk of me falling into new-toy
problems is negligible. Besides, I already knew where to find it ;-)

I am doing all my coding in python nowadays, and python already has a
decent DB layer (sqlite included).

This is more for the C++ crowd ;-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina at kde.org
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   KDE Developer (MFCH)
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Buenos Aires - Argentina
Imminentizing the eschaton since 1971.