Proposal: Encouraging DB-using applications

Guillaume Laurent glaurent at telegraph-road.org
Sun Sep 21 23:11:39 BST 2003

On Sunday 21 September 2003 23:39, Roberto Alsina wrote:

> Now, your position is that there is no such app to be written. I gave a
> few examples, Andras mentioned one. Those apps do exist.

My position is that DBs are, more frequently than not, used as the wrong
solution to a problem, and are inherently much more complex and less reliable
than simpler solutions. I don't disagree that apps needing a DB can be
written, I do disagree that they are as common as you seem to think.

> Costs almost nothing. It's tiny. It's written. It's 1200 lines. How buggy
> can it be? ;-)

You tell me :-). How well tested is it ?

> Benefits: you say none. I say some.

No, I agree there are benefits. What I'm worried about are the downsides, even
more so since you seem to be overly confident on the issue, and advocated the
use of DBs in applications where they really didn't belong. Two sure signs of
the "I've got a new toy I absolutely must play with"-syndrome. No offense
meant, but you do trigger a few alarm bells here.

--
						Guillaume.
						http://www.telegraph-road.org