KComboBox focus

Benoit Walter b.walter at free.fr
Thu Sep 18 22:25:58 BST 2003

On Thursday 18 September 2003 22:39, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On September 18, 2003 03:10 pm, Benoit Walter wrote:
> > The problem is that it is not convenient to switch between
> > styles/decorations/ backgrounds without keyboard focus. I know the
> > QComboBox behaves as you described, I just think it is much more
> > convenient to use if you get the focus after clicking on it.
> > Most of the time, you select a background image from the combo box, then
> > you navigate between backgrounds using the arrows.
> > If a click focus really bothers for a combo box that is not editable,
> > what about changing the focus policy of those widgets directly in the
> > control center modules ?
>
> If you want to use the keyboard that badly then why aren't you just tabbing
> to the combobox in the first place?
>
> Otherwise, if you clicked on the combo box with the mouse, then you are
> obviously navigating using a mouse, and can thus change the combobox by
> dragging your mousewheel much faster than you could by clicking it then
> using the keyboard.
>
> I fail to see why this is a big problem.

If you are looking for a style, you just choose the first element (for
example) in the combo box using the mouse. In order to look at each style,
you can go on with the mouse, but it is really annoying, especially when you
are browsing a list of more than 10 elements... Then you want to quickly
change the selection using the keyboard...
Just have a look at the new styles kcm and try to navigate between the styles
in the combo box and you will see what I mean.