Adding flac-support to kde-multimedia?

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Thu Sep 11 22:12:09 BST 2003

On Thursday 11 September 2003 19:42, Chris Cheney wrote:

> Ok, It will be a good feature for KDE 4. :)
I am more for a quick KDE 3.3 feature-release before Qt 4.0.0 comes out next
fall. KDE 3.0 was pretty boring because all focus was on technology. If we
had semi-parallel 3.3 and 4.0 efforts, we could have more feature- and
usability-development. (and we wouldn't leave our users cold and feature-less
again :)

> I haven't looked at kfile_plugin/ogg for KDE 3.2 yet but KDE 3.1's
> information looks like it should have the same amount of information
> for flac and speex as well. Unless it happens to be really hard to get
> the technical details from those streams?

It's not. I can find most of the information you mention below.

> Meta Info (Tab):
>
> Comment (Box):
> Title:
> Artist:
> Album:
> Track Number:

OT: Why isn't this info coordinated with the mp3-infos?
(which are also called the id3v1.1 group even if they can get them from id3v2)

> Technical Details (Box):
> Average bitrate:
This is rather difficult to get out of flac, but you can always take
file-length and divide it with time (which you get from #samples/
sample-rate).
> Length:
> Channels:
> Nominal bitrate:
There is no such thing for flac.
> Version:
I would replace this rather pointless information with the stream-type
(vorbis/flac/speex).
> Sample rate:
Sure and I would add bit precision as well.

The informations that would be problematic are more such as upper and lower
bitrates which arent even used for most vorbis-streams. But I am starting to
thing that if they are optional on file-basis, I could keep them and even add
flac-specific info as well.

`Allan (who's getting a feeling he going into multimedia-maintenance soon)