Adding flac-support to kde-multimedia?

Chris Cheney ccheney at cheney.cx
Thu Sep 11 18:42:25 BST 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 09:23:33AM +0200, Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 September 2003 08:53, Chris Cheney wrote:
> > Allan,
> >
> > Can you add support to play ogg flac files as well? Ogg Flac support was
> > added to the flac libraries with the 1.0.4 release on Sept 24 2002. Also
> > With the new Ogg Vorbis 1.0.1 release (due out any day now) ogg123 will
> > be able to play them so it would be nice if KDE could as well. :)
> >
> > I assume Ogg Flac's would use the kfile_plugin/ogg so it would need to be
> > extended to recognize flac streams and report information on them.
> >
> Yes, it would be very nice :)
> Unfortunately the changes needed are a bit too invasive for what is left of
> the KDE 3.2 time-frame. Basically I need to rewrite our ogg-vorbis support,
> since it is assumed quite a lot of places that an ogg-file is also a
> vorbis-stream. Also the kfile_plugin/ogg informations will be severly limited
> since a lot of the informations doesnt make any sense for streams other than
> vorbis.

Ok, It will be a good feature for KDE 4. :)

I haven't looked at kfile_plugin/ogg for KDE 3.2 yet but KDE 3.1's
information looks like it should have the same amount of information
for flac and speex as well. Unless it happens to be really hard to get
the technical details from those streams?

Meta Info (Tab):

Comment (Box):
Title:
Artist: