kdm

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sun Sep 7 21:49:40 BST 2003

[don't remove jirka from the cc:!]

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 02:01:06PM -0400, Ravikiran Rajagopal wrote:
> > /var/lib/dm/users/<name>.{face,face.icon,dmrc}
> >  -> global face and saved session choice location
>
> What does this mean? If this is stuff per user,

it is.

> it should stay in the user's home directory.

a) explain this to AFS.
   (hmm, in fact, this means that users cannot own their dmrc files in
   this scenario ...)
b) explain this to the admins that don't want to allow their users to
   set their face arbitrarily.

> In many networks (including mine), /var is not an NFS-mounted
> partition but /usr and /opt (which usually contain $KDEDIR) are.
> Storing persistent user data in /var is not an option.

hmm, indeed ... this is prolly what
  --sharedstatedir=DIR   modifiable architecture-independent data [PREFIX/com]
is supposed to be good for ... too bad that i haven't seen this on a
single system ... :}

> >  it might be an option to split out the faces into an own directory, like
> >  /usr/share/lib/faces, /var/lib/faces or even /etc/faces, given that this
> >  could be considered global [configuration] data.
>
> Assuming this is the list of faces available for all users to choose,

no, it is a collection of administratively assigned faces, like
supported by kdm's face browser forever.

> I would vote for the first two, but would avoid the third.

hmm ... /usr is relatively inappropriate, as it might be read-only. /var
is bad, because it is per-machine. /etc is per-machine, read-only and
certainly would be not happy about several hundred kb of user pics.

greetings