kdm

Ravi ravi at kde.org
Sun Sep 7 19:01:06 BST 2003

Hello,
  I strongly support moving all rewritable global config files out of share/
config. The usual way of splitting it into /etc and /var/lib is perhaps the
best way.

> [snip]
> the second part ... jirka (the gdm guy) an me are trying to create
> something like a standard for dm configuration. it's supposed to cover
> session type definitions, the previous session type saving and user
> images (faces). the dir layout would be something like that:
> /etc/X11/sessions/
>  -> every compliant window manager/desktop environment installs its own
>     .desktop files here. for "legacy" wms a common package needs to be
>     created.
> /var/lib/dm/
>  -> generally working data. for kdm that would be kdmsts
> /var/lib/dm/users/<name>.{face,face.icon,dmrc}
>  -> global face and saved session choice location

What does this mean? If this is stuff per user, it should stay in the user's
home directory. In many networks (including mine), /var is not an NFS-mounted
partition but /usr and /opt (which usually contain $KDEDIR) are. Storing
persistent user data in /var is not an option. I hope I misunderstood this
part.

>  it might be an option to split out the faces into an own directory, like
>  /usr/share/lib/faces, /var/lib/faces or even /etc/faces, given that this
>  could be considered global [configuration] data.

Assuming this is the list of faces available for all users to choose, this
would be great. I would vote for the first two, but would avoid the third.
For the face changer in the userinfo module in kdeutils, I am waiting for the
end of feature freeze to include code (been lying on my hard disk for ages)
that would allow for configurable list of directories from which to select
faces, and something like this would obviate it.

Regards,
Ravi