KWallet integration

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Wed Sep 3 18:22:59 BST 2003

On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 07:15:16PM +0200, Tim Jansen wrote:
> But if I understand it correctly now, it asks for a password at each startup?
> That also sounds quite annoying and certainly not what the majority of users
> want.

Well, considering it's a kded load-on-demand module, I assume you'll
actually need it on start-up because it won't start unless an application
demands it. Of course, if applications like Kopete are loaded within a
session, that more or less makes it a permanent module anyway.

Different security levels of wallets would make so much sense. Giving Kopete
access to a MSN account should probably not use the same wallet as loading
my creditcard details for a payment form. In fact, the latter should
probably use a one-time authorization, I wouldn't even want Konq to load my
creditcard details a hour n+1 just because I have used the app to order
something at hour n.

Unless such real-life concerns are addressed properly, KWallet integration
probably will only create huge security risk within KDE instead of securing
data.

(forgive if this is all addressed, but KDE is not in a state where I can
properly experiment with KWallet.. will cvs up again tonight)

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
cap at capsi.com | temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."