Systray problem

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Oct 31 08:26:51 GMT 2003

On Friday 31 of October 2003 01:20, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Saturday 25 October 2003 13:16, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > Another problem with kicker & systray is that if you restart kicker
> > (or it crashes and is restarted) everything from systray disappears.
> > I had kwikdisk and kppp running, and although they are running, the
> > systray doesn't contain their icons anymore.
>
> Yeah, ok, think I see it. netwm doesn't yet support _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY
> opcodes so we and there's also a problem with addition of new trays in
> the applet itself. If an applet is started before the system tray we
> either ignore it (the better case) or are left with a free pixmap that
> has to be put somewhere (turns out in the upper left corner). I put it
> on my todo and should fix it either tomorrow or saturday.

 Don't bother. Icons not being docked were due to a race condition between
KWin and QXEmbed after recent QXEmbed fixes (race condition in the KDE "spec"
for it), that's been already worked around. Icons lost after kicker crash/
restart are due to some QXEmbed changes that should have been done only for
the XPLAIN case (java,nsplugins). That's being worked on (http://
lists.kde.org/?l=kfm-devel&m=106752026501968&w=2).

 As for _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY, Aaron has plans for systray changes, so it looks
like we'll consider _NET_SYSTEM_TRAY obsolete even before we really start
using it.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer