X11 KeySym to Unicode mapping?

Shaheed srhaque at iee.org
Thu Oct 30 09:39:10 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 21:33, Shaheed wrote:
> Oh crap. Its worse even than QETWidget::translateKeyEventInternal().
> AFAICS,
 languages such as Bengali are completely missing...and more
> research on the web turns up links like this:
>
> http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/lib/X11/imKStoUCS.c
>
> with what looks like more of the story. Unless someone has a better idea,
> I'll
 have to see if I can find a synthesis for all this.

> For the record then, I'm going to try[1] to build a translation module from

 X11 keysyms to Unicode. I'll stick what I come up with in viki for now,
> and we can consider if anyone needs this moving to (say) kdecore/kkey* in
> 4.0.

Replying to myself, I now see that the Indic languages all seem to fall into
the 1-1 mapped range at 0x1000000, so my immediate needs are, in fact, met.

Hmmm. Looking at and Dave's pointer, Havoc's pointer and all the other places
that do similar stuff, its pretty clear that what is lacking is a single,
unified, X11 KeySym to Unicode mapping that all projects could share...I'll
see if I can find an appropriate XFree86 list to suggest this.

Thanks all, Shaheed