Interfacing with KDE ?

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Sun Oct 26 14:23:27 GMT 2003

On Sunday 26 October 2003 13:28, Helge Deller wrote:
> I'm trying to help a friend to make his Java program more KDE-friendly.
>
> In this regard, I'm interested, if there maybe is a _documented_ or _official_
> way (DCOP would be possible) to figure out if KDE (or even GNOME?)
> is currently running and then preferably a DCOP call to execute
> the application associated with the filetype, e.g. something like
> a DCOP-call: kdeexec("readme.txt");
> I found "kfmclient exec readme.txt" to be possible, but maybe an existing
> DCOP function could speed it up.

If the mimetype isn't known before hand, you need a KRun instance.
"kfmclient exec" does just that, it runs a KRun for you.
In your idea, you'd need some already-running process to do it - but
there's no such thing yet (not sure what you play that role... even kdesktop
might not be running, in some strange setups). OTOH kfmclient exec will
always work. I think it's the best solution.

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer