Home folder? - Revisionism

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sat Oct 25 12:59:48 BST 2003

On Saturday 25 October 2003 13:41, Malcolm Hunter wrote:
> > I would not complain. This is a tip, it is supposed to be a bit
> > more in-depth
> > than the normal GUI. And since UNIX common name for a directory is,
> > oddly enough, 'directory', the paragraph is simply wrong, and
> > should be reworded.
> >
> > And if the user is supposed to work in a Konsole window, I think
> > the sooner
> > she makes the association directory<->folder, the better.
>
> This is precisely why I asked how the people making this change are
> making the distinction between GUI and CLI. Even Windows makes the
> distinction between folder and directory. mkdir /? doesn't mention
> the word "folder".

Hello? What a weak argument. The overwhelming majority of Windows users
has never used and will never use mkdir. They won't even know that this
command exists (because they don't need to know) and will always use
"New folder...". People who know about mkdir will also know that
"folder" and "dictionary" is the same thing.

Regards,
Ingo