"Folder" or "Directory"?

Michael Brade brade at kde.org
Sun Oct 19 07:40:04 BST 2003

On Sunday 19 October 2003 01:50, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Waldo Bastian wrote:
> >Yes I think so, I would give it to monday to give everyone a fair chance
> > to voice any objection. If no major objections have been raised by then
> > it can be changed to folder IMHO.
>
> My vote would be to keep "directory" where filesystem directories are
> concerned and "folder" when it's just an organisation unit (mail folders,
> for instance,
Yes, same here.

> My reasoning is this:
> 1) for 30 years, it has been "directory"
> 2) other existing programs call it "directory" (for instance, mc)
> 3) we've been calling it "directory" all along, so this would keep
> consistency 4) the API names it "directory" (mkdir, chdir, rmdir, QDir,
> etc.)
> 5) my personal opinion: I've learnt that name first and I don't like
> "folder"; I've never used that term when directories are concerned.
1-5 is exactly my thinking and feeling. I've been working here in Australia in
Unix Systems Administration at uni and I have never heard of the term
"folder" in that context, I don't quite like it either. However, I'm aware of
the fact that point 5 might be the reason for that.

As some already mentioned, if a final decision is made, I will accept it, be
it either way. We'll all get used to the new term sooner or later I guess ;)

--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3: The Next Generation in Desktop Experience