"Folder" or "Directory"?

Thiago Macieira thiago at macieira.info
Sat Oct 18 16:50:47 BST 2003

Waldo Bastian wrote:
>Yes I think so, I would give it to monday to give everyone a fair chance to
>voice any objection. If no major objections have been raised by then it can
>be changed to folder IMHO.

My vote would be to keep "directory" where filesystem directories are
concerned and "folder" when it's just an organisation unit (mail folders, for
instance, can be simple files (*) or could be stored in a database in a
remote server), but I'm with Roberto on this: I'm more so in favour of
actually making a decision.

My reasoning is this:
1) for 30 years, it has been "directory"
2) other existing programs call it "directory" (for instance, mc)
3) we've been calling it "directory" all along, so this would keep consistency
4) the API names it "directory" (mkdir, chdir, rmdir, QDir, etc.)
5) my personal opinion: I've learnt that name first and I don't like "folder";
I've never used that term when directories are concerned.

As for the icon "problem", I don't think it proceeds: in real life, you put
folders inside files, not the other way around. So both icons, for files and
for directories alike, are wrong. We are representing files by a sheet of
paper, whereas the "physical" file would be a 1.2 m-high 3-drawer grey thing,
with folders inside. Therefore, the real-life relation between the icon and
the name of what it is representing is already lost.

In my view, "folder" is a misguided name. But no one is proposing we replace
"file" with "document".

(*) unless we take up on Hans Reiser and produce filesystem plugins for
Reiser4, which would make any file become a directory and vice-versa: we'd
then allow an user to browse in Konqueror through his mail folder -- which
would be nothing  more than a file. Then again, maybe we don't need Reiser4
for that.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom at mail.com
    ICQ UIN: 1967141   PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358