"Folder" or "Directory"?

Craig Drummond Craig.Drummond at gmx.net
Thu Oct 16 13:45:39 BST 2003

> The AmigaOS uses drawers. Also I think there are icon sets that use
> drawers

Atari TOS had file-cabinets representing the disk-drives, adn then fodlers
for folders, and "paper" for files.

> represent directories. In fact having files whithin folders is a strange
> concept in itself.

Why? Files are represented as pictures of paper (with an icon) - and folders
often have paper inside. The fact is that *most* OS's use the term "Folder".
Anyway, my argument was that they should use the same term if they are to
use the same icon. There may be different icon sets with "drawers" for folders
- but the fact is that KDE's standard icon is a folder. Doesn't the fact that
konqueror has the option to create a new directory, and then uses a "folder"
to represent this, not seem silly?

> Luciano

Craig.