[Issue N32570] [Qt 3.2.x Regression] Text wrap madness

Martijn Klingens klingens at kde.org
Wed Oct 15 19:15:01 BST 2003

On Wednesday 15 October 2003 18:12, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> The solution is obviously not to break after '/'. If someone writes two/
> three he can easily add a space after the '/' in case he wants a line
> break after the '/'. In fact that's what I've been doing all the time.
> If OTOH Qt breaks after '/' then there's nothing the user can do to
> prevent this (unless he completely disables wordwrapping).

That breaks the automatic formatting though. If you remove text in that
paragraph (causing a reformat) you'd end up with an unwanted (and
typographically incorrect) space.

It's just as stupid as people who use blank lines in a word processor to
increase the whitespace between paragraphs instead of properly setting
paragraph spacing in the style, or to avoid orphans and widows or to get a
page break.

Obviously the latter only applies to rich text as plain text has no notion of
those concepts, but the idea of using manually typed hyphens instead of
'soft' hyphens or automatic hyphenation or bogus spaces to fix the formatting
is really just working around broken software.

In other words, the best would be the text wrapping recognizing URLs and
adjusting its behaviour. The next best would be the ability to disable
wrapping on '/' to at least fix anything not URL-related, like most wrapping
texts. Anything else will break either KMail or the rest of the world as far
as I can see it.

--
Martijn