Fwd: Unable to load MSN protocol plugin

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Sat Oct 11 07:55:25 BST 2003

On Friday 10 October 2003 23:01, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 October 2003 22:34, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > > I have no idea how to fix this portably with FreeBSD, hopefully
> > > someone on core-devel knows.
> >
> > Use a different name for the lib?
>
> I renamed libkopete_msn.so in CVS to libkopete_msn_shared.so so it
> hopefully won't conflict anymore.
>
> FreeBSD people, please test.

Rebuilt:

[tap at vimes tap]$ find /usr/local/lib -name '*msn*'
/usr/local/lib/kde3/kopete_msn.so
/usr/local/lib/kde3/kopete_msn.la
/usr/local/lib/kde3/kcm_kopete_msn.so
/usr/local/lib/kde3/kcm_kopete_msn.la
/usr/local/lib/libkopete_msn_shared.so.0
/usr/local/lib/libkopete_msn_shared.so
/usr/local/lib/libkopete_msn_shared.la

(so it seems the "NAMING" problem wasn't the cause. I actually checked
the previous installation and there were no clashes)

and Tested:

MSN is checked to be loaded in the options, on loading from a konsole I
get (debug split into separate lines for clarity)

----
kopete: [KopetePlugin* KopetePluginManager::loadPlugin(const QString&)]
kopete_msn

kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: Undefined symbol
"init_kopete_msn"

kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: The library kopete_msn does not
offer an init_kopete_msn function

kopete: [KopetePlugin* KopetePluginManager::loadPlugin(const QString&)]
No service implementing the given mimetype and fullfilling the given
constraint expression can be found.

kopete: [KopetePlugin* KopetePluginManager::loadPlugin(const QString&)]

kopete: '
----

When trying to add an MSN account gives "Impossible to load the protocol
'MSN Messenger'" dialog, and the konsole again shows the debug

----
kopete: [virtual void AddAccountWizard::next()] Trying to load plugin
kopete_msn by name

kopete: [KopetePlugin* KopetePluginManager::loadPlugin(const QString&)]
kopete_msn

kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: Undefined symbol
"init_kopete_msn"

kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: The library kopete_msn does not
offer an init_kopete_msn function

kopete: [KopetePlugin* KopetePluginManager::loadPlugin(const QString&)]
No service implementing the given mimetype and fullfilling the given
constraint expression can be found.

kopete: [KopetePlugin* KopetePluginManager::loadPlugin(const QString&)]

kopete: '
----

If someone can tell me what file should contain that symbol, and the
relevent nm-type magic to run against it, I can post the results.

Right now, I can see that

find /usr/local/lib -name '*msn*' -exec grep init_kopete_msn {} \;
Binary file /usr/local/lib/libkopete_msn_shared.so.0 matches
Binary file /usr/local/lib/libkopete_msn_shared.so matches

Should the symbol be in this lib, or in the kopete_msn.so (as seemingly
implied in the debug output)?

If anyone needs further info about this, just let me know.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk
"In an open world without walls and fences,      | tap at lspace.org