mi_cast

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Thu Oct 2 12:19:27 BST 2003

After a few recent threads on kde-cvs I've come to wonder if a simple define
in one of the KDE headers would be of some utility --

Specifically I'd like to add a:

#define mi_cast dynamic_cast

Alternatively something like:

template <class From, class To> To mi_cast(From v)
{
  return dynamic_cast<To>(v);
}

Should work, but I think would be less semantically nice...

Or something similar -- whatever -- we simply have the problem that a lot of
people don't know how to use dynamic_cast and when reading through sources you
often hit false positives where it was actually someone using a dynamic_cast
to cast "sideways" across a multiple inheritance hierarchy.

It would be nice if we had a "I know what I'm doing" indicator of sorts.

Thoughts?  Flames?

-Scott
those who don't.