KConfig XT: kconfig_compiler & friends

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Thu Oct 2 06:53:08 BST 2003

On Wednesday 01 October 2003 23:37, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> > How does this system benifit them at all?  It is all compiled in
> > the binary.

Nope, kcfg files are being installed.

> > Currently the way of running x app, modifing the settings, exiting
> > and distributing the config file to all of the machines is still
> > the only way that I know of.  Did I miss some feature of the new
> > skeleton system?
>
> AFAIK this was all suppose to be connected by an application that
> would generate these files the source cfg files and the end files
> with default values.  ideally even documentation (zack?)  these files
> could then be edited and distributed.

Correct, the only way to get the type infomations and documentation for
an option for tools like kconfedit is through kcfg files. This is good
because it will let us hide many, many options without removing them,
so still keeping power users happy (they'll still get a nice gui for
editing those advanced options with documentation for them and type
safety while editing them (an entry that's supposed contain a bool
won't contain a string).

Zack

--
I come in peace to code Linux!