[Kopete-devel] Post 3.2 Kopete and packagers

Andy Fawcett andy at athame.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 16:16:50 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 26 November 2003 17:03, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le Mercredi 26 Novembre 2003 15:40, Benjamin Meyer a écrit :
 of KDE though.

> > > Cool, a messenger that ships with no useful protocols :P
> > >
> > > Bye, Stefan aka mETz (who still believes moving to kdenetwork was
> > > just plain wrong)
> >
> > What about Jabber?  KOpete with just jabber in kdenetwork and the rest
> > of the
 closed protocals in kdeaddons?

> Not a bad idea, Jabber and IRC.
>
> Anyway, we can't ships protocol in a other package than the one where
> kopete is, since we don't install kopete header (we can't maintain BC in
> kopete yet)
>
> (But for me, a lot of kopete plugin should go in kdeaddons)

Even if you could move them to another module such as kdeaddons (and as you
say you can't at the moment because of not installing the headers), this
wouldn't resolve the packaging problems at all.

Please see Lauri's mail for the FreeBSD point of view, and Helio's for the
Conectiva point of view. They diverge quite a bit, but since the thread is
all about packaging, I feel they are relevent to the discussion.

Whichever solution is chosen in the end, it's going to cause extra work for
packagers.

Regards,

Andy
Andy Fawcett                                     | andy at athame.co.uk