[Kopete-devel] Post 3.2 Kopete and packagers

Jason Keirstead jason at keirstead.org
Tue Nov 25 18:41:22 GMT 2003

On November 25, 2003 1:56 pm, Rob Kaper wrote:
> But note, I control monopd releases so I can more easily time these
> changes. In the case of Kopete, it could occur that a plugin for a
> proprietary protocol needs to be changed immediately to keep functioning.

This is a silly argument. Sure it *could* occur that the MSN protocol will
change again in the next 2 years. But what are the odds?

> Giving the time needed for a KDE bugfix release and the unavoidable
> discussions whether such a protocol change justifies triggering a new KDE
> bugfix release when required ahead of schedule, I'd say there's a very good
> argument not to put those plugins in kdenetwork.

I think this whole thread is an excellent argument for why we need some
serious work done on Konstruct to get it ready for prime-time.

If it were done properly, people could download, build, and install new
Kopete / Noatun / Konqueror plugins with a simple click of the mouse, thus
solving all of these problems. People who KDE plugin-ified apps should be
able to easily install new / updated plugins without re-building all of one
of the KDE core components.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

http://www.keirstead.org