KSCD, showstopper list

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Tue Nov 25 20:00:42 GMT 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 09:54:40AM +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Monday 24 November 2003 23:42, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > Nothing, but considering the huge number of bugs that I close as
> > duplicate I have my doubts that checking for duplicates really helps
> > that much. Sometimes people file bugs which are so obviously
> > duplicates
> When have you seen the last KDE bug report with 700 duplicates?
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/mostfrequent.html

i don't think it makes too much sense to speculate; we need hard
numbers. in how many percent of the cases the wizard does not get beyond
the duplicates list?

from a resource point of view ... if we sum up the time spent on
handling duplicates, the total will be considerably smaller if the
maintainers take care of doing it, not the submitters. still we dare to
value our own time higher then the time of the users for pragmatic
reasons - but even that does not hold if another kde developer reports
a bug. ergo, kde developers are allowed to file duplicates. :)

i'd suggest the following improvements to the bts:
- there should be a "look for similar bugs" button on the bug display
  page, which would invoke the wizard's dupe detector. possibly it
  should also include the bug comments, which are already available
  at that time, but such a query would be probably "somewhat" slow (not
  that the current one is really fast).
now it gets slightly unrealistic, unless somebody wants to write a
master thesis on that topic. :)
- way smarter dupe recognition. there is no need to present the
  submitter kpat bugs, if he reports a konqueror problem. of course
  there could/should be some implicit relations, like if the word
  "window" or "focus" appears in a bug, kwin bugs are automatically
  searched as well; same for "session" for ksmserver, etc. - of course
  it's not that simple; something much more clever is needed for
  finding such correlations - possibly a neural net that learns from
  previous submissions and manipulations of bugs.

greetings