modal dialog locking user's desktop

Adriaan de Groot adridg at sci.kun.nl
Mon Nov 24 22:08:07 GMT 2003

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Unai Garro wrote:
> I just came across this, and I think it needs an urgent (possibly
> simple) fix.
>
> Simple test case of the problem:

> 3) The user clicks on another big or fullscreen application (kword, konsole,
> konvi, whatever)
>
> 4) The user, unless experienced in KDE, has a completely locked desktop. He
> can't switch tasks, since the dialog is modal, and he can't see the dialog,
> since it's hidden on the back of the current application.

You can see a similar effect with KMail. If the connection to your pop
server is broken, KMail pops up a modal dialog saying so. The dialog is -
i think - centered in KMail's window. If you accidentally click on KMail's
main window, instead of on the "OK" button of the dialog, KMail's main
window comes to the front but is inactive, since it's got that modal
dialog up. Your only hint is that KMail doesn't work anymore, and there's
an extra kmail-icon-task in the taskbar. Again, time for alt-tab. Almost
makes you wonder if it makes _sense_ for windows to be able to move in
front of modal dialogs.

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg at cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE