What IGS thinks about the Linux Desktop

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Nov 24 08:01:12 GMT 2003

On Monday 24 November 2003 00:33, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 23 November 2003 04:20, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > >  o the context menu for a link contains "open in new tab".
> >
> > I use the MMB for that.
>
> ditto =)

Yeah, but that KDE isn't about you two (or me for that matter), it's about end users,
who have no way to know about MMB.
And for people without 3 mouse buttons, MMB emulation is really inconvenient.
And for anyone switching to Windows now and then, taking the habit of MMB
is a bad one (gets you a strange scrolling cursor in IE) :-)
Those are all reasons why it's necessary to have 'open in new tab' on links.

> > >  o there is an optional (on by default) New Tab button in the tab
> > > bar. this isn't a perfect option since the default is to have the tab
> > > bar turned off when there aren't multiple tabs.
> >
> > Exactly.
>
> hrm.... i'm half tempted to suggest that it should be on by default. maybe for
> 3.3 when we attack the toolbars.

Waste of screen space though, for anyone not using tabs.

> > BTW, I don't understand why the two options "Duplicate in new window"
> > and "Duplicate in new tab" are in the context menu. Those two are
> > hardly often used options and the context menu is still too large IMO.
> > I'd remove them.
>
> yes, i'm not sure what the utility of those options really is =)

I sometimes use the first one (to be able to go back in another window, for instance).
But the File menu might be enough for that. I'm fine with them being removed from
the RMB. Oh and this will make some room for "view document source" again :-) SCNR.