What IGS thinks about the Linux Desktop

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Sun Nov 23 23:20:37 GMT 2003

On Sunday 23 November 2003 23:06, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 23 November 2003 02:27, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > My context menu only contains "Duplicate in New Tab". Hello? How
> > often does one want to open another tab with the same contents?
> > This takes much longer than opening a new blank tab where I can
> > then load a website from my bookmarks. And no, I can't use Open in
> > New Tab because the context menu of the bookmarks on my bookmarks
> > toolbar doesn't contain this option. There I only get the standard
> > Toolbar Menu.
>
> i don't quite understand what you are saying.. i'm confused because
> you aren't specific as to which app (konqi or konsole) and where
> exactly in that app you are seeing these problems.
>
> in koqueror:

Yes, I meant Konqueror.

>  o the context menu for a link contains "open in new tab".

I use the MMB for that.

>  o the context menu for a page (RMB on the background) contains
> "duplicate in new tab" but not "new tab" for the same reason it
> doesn't contain "new window": it's a CONTEXT menu that is already
> large. Konqueror isn't unique here, either; Mozilla doesn't have a
> "new tab" or "new window" item in it's page context menu either.

That's what I was talking about. Since you moved this thread to
kde-core-devel I will shortly re-iterate the discussion:
I wrote: "[In Konqueror] I can't open a new tab without diving into
some menu (yes, I'm a mouse user and no keyboard shortcut
memorizer). In Konqueror I now added the "New Tab" icon to the
toolbar."
For clarification: I was talking about the case that there's only a
single tab in which case the tab bar is hidden.
Dirk replied: "Is RMB + "New Tab" not enough?"
And to this I replied what you can see above because there is no "New
Tab" in the RMB menu.

>  o the context menu for bookmarks in both the bookmark toolbar and
> the bookmark menus contains "Open in New Tab". of course you need to
> have a bookmark to click on, but that much should be obvious.

Not here. The context menu for the bookmarks in the bookmark menus
indeed contains "Open in New Tab". But that's why I explicitely wrote:
"I can't use Open in New Tab because the context menu of the bookmarks
on my bookmarks toolbar doesn't contain this option."
Screenshot:
http://www.matha.rwth-aachen.de/~ingo/kde/no_openInNewTab_in_bookmark_toolbar_context_menu.jpg
If that's a bug then I guess I'll have to report it. I thought it was a
missing feature.

>  o the context menu on tabs has "New Tab", as well as "Duplicate
> Tab". in fact, "New Tab" is the first item in the menu

This doesn't help if the tab bar is hidden.

>  o there is an optional (on by default) New Tab button in the tab
> bar. this isn't a perfect option since the default is to have the tab
> bar turned off when there aren't multiple tabs.

Exactly.

> what do you suggest doing differently, exactly?

Nothing actually (except of fixing the above bug). As I wrote above I've
added a "New Tab" icon to my toolbar and I'm happy with it. I don't
suggest to add it as default.

BTW, I don't understand why the two options "Duplicate in new window"
and "Duplicate in new tab" are in the context menu. Those two are
hardly often used options and the context menu is still too large IMO.
I'd remove them.

Regards,
Ingo