deeper freeze

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Wed Nov 12 11:16:15 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 12:08, Andras Mantia wrote:
> I would say that a crash is important bug and should be fixed anywhere it
> appears. If somebody is the maintainer of app X and the app X crashes but
> doesn't cause serious data loss, why shouldn't the maintainer of app X fix
> the crash? It would be absurd to not do so.
If you read my words I was naming "how easy to fix and how likely it is to happen"
as two other conditions for a crash beeing major. That means if app X crashes
in obscure situations (and unlike what Rob said, there are obscure situations:
"when I hit F5 very quickly", "when my installation is broken and X can't find
the wallpaper" are just two examples) and the fix is a one liner "if (m_widget)"
I'm fine with it. But e.g. in kmail there are some crashes that result from unclear
object life times, were kmail may crash when you're spelling checking while the
POP server goes down - whatever. _That_ crash I wouldn't consider major -
if the only solution is a rewrite of the kmail kernel.

Greetings, Stephan

--
There may be no I in TEAM, but a M and an E.