speeding up KFind

Matthias Welwarsky matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de
Sun May 25 21:24:46 BST 2003

On Monday 26 May 2003 22:06, Daniel Naber wrote:
> Hi,
>
> KFind can be very slow if ones searches for file content because it
> searches any file, even large binary files that usually don't even contain
> text. As a fix I suggest to ignore all files that have a mime type unlike
> "text/*". Of course there are exceptions like KOffice and OpenOffice.org
> files (these are the only exceptions currently). Searches that don't use
> the "contains text" field won't be affected.
>
> Is that change okay or will some important files be missed this way?

Every file is important. Even binary files, executables, contain readable
strings, hence strings(1).

A generic tool like KFind cannot make valid assumptions on what the user
wants. If it's slow, so be it. False negatives is a bad thing in this case.

I suggest you add another checkbox for "skip files that are unlikely to
contain plain text", and place it right next to the "contains text" field.

regards,
	matze

--
Matthias Welwarsky
Fachschaft Informatik FH Darmstadt
Email: matze at stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de

"all software sucks equally, but some software is more equal"