[Kde-games-devel] Re: KHighscore on multiple user systems

Nicolas Hadacek hadacek at kde.org
Wed May 21 21:27:31 BST 2003

On Thursday 22 May 2003 04:47 am, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> Sorry if I am way off base, but I really don't see the point of this whole
> thread... why not just let the user choose the location and permissions of
> the highscore file... If they want a global highscore file then they can
> put it wherever and give all the users they want access to it. If needed
> instructions on how to do this could be put in the docs....
>
> Just my 0.02

I don't think it is so simple. This system-wide highscore system is intended
for system with several users (possibily lots of users); on such system you
don't want one user cheating the content of the highscore file and security
is a concern. You also want to be safe against several games writing the
highscore file at the same time hence the locking mechanism.

Nicolas