KSSL based S/MIME plugin available

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon May 19 16:41:21 BST 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 20:32, George Staikos wrote:
> On Saturday 17 May 2003 12:21, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> > > One could be of the opinion that this puts a legal obligation on
> > > applications like e.g. KMail. The question whether KMail is a derived
> > > work of OpenSSL is irrelevant in that respect since the license only
> > > speaks of "use of this software". I think it's the opinion of the FSF
> > > that such additional obligation is incompatible with the GPL.
> >
> > And also incompatible with the LGPL I assume. Else one could simply
> > write an LGPL'd wrapper library and then use this in a GPL program. But
> > isn't that exactly what Konqueror does by using kssl? If there is no
> > licensing problem between Konqueror and OpenSSL then there can't be a
> > problem with KMail (resp. the kssl based S/MIME plugin) since both use
> > OpenSSL through kssl. Am I missing something?
>
>   You are correct, KMail is in no different situation than Konqueror.

Yes, this is most likely. I only pointed to the licensing problem,
when I noticed this on the KSSL release.

> I'll take care of the IBM issue.  I am in the process of contacting them now.

That is about the patent, a completely different issue.
Probably the answers of Werner Koch in the fresh thread
on gpa-dev@ are interesting:
   http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gpa-dev/2003-May/001302.html

In general it is probably not a good idea to contact patent owner
to ask them if your software violates their patent, because they
will always say "yes" when in doubt. (As you know software patents
largely are build on "doubt". ) Thus its probably imperative to study
and understand the patent claims before contacting them.
It's quite likely that you did and my this paragraph is just another
summary. :)
In any case: Good luck.