-platform linux-g++-objprelink still useful?

Cristian Tibirna tibirna at kde.org
Sun May 18 18:38:47 BST 2003

On Sunday, 18 May 2003 13:01, Neil Stevens wrote:

> Can someone explain to me why slightly old free systems are treated with
> more hostility than any non-free tools?  People never seem this eager to
> remove all traces of support for non-free systems.  Why remove what was,
> not too long ago, the best free stuff available?

Possible explanations:
1) Help people use the new technologies (or new versions of the old
technology) instead of the old one, as the new ones offer more
stability/quality/performance
2) Cleanup of a code that, being freely developed, shouldn't become more
difficult to maintain than strictly necessary (in my book, needing ifdefs for
platforms/features/configs is plain cruelty)
3) implement new standards for some specific feature, standards that became
avail _after_ the first version of the feature was produced.

Dunno if any of this applies to the case that made you ask the question, but I
hope you find these to be valid generic answers.

--
Cristian Tibirna
KDE developer .. tibirna at kde.org .. http://www.kde.org