GnuTLS (was: Re: KSSL based S/MIME plugin available)

Marc Mutz mutz at kde.org
Sun May 18 14:36:50 BST 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 06:50, Waldo Bastian wrote:
<snip>
> OpenSSL comes with advertisement clauses that might cause problems
> yes:
<snip>

This thread prompted me to check gnutls' status again.

They've finally made it LGPL and beta instead of GPL and alpha. It seems
to appraoch v1.0.0 rapidly now (check the ChangeLog). It even supports
OpenPGP certificates for TLS (though that part of the library is GPL).

The only issue I can see is that they seem to have no support for SSLv2
(and that they need testing, which a gnutls-using konq would surely
provide en masse).

So, maybe it's finally time to get rid of OpenSSL and it's problems?
IIRC, even George was swearing about the OpenSSL's BIC and licensing
issues.

Marc

--
If you read this Mail while moving in traffic, you could hit
lantern stakes or end up knocked over by trucks.